Cecil Murphy and Marley Gibson have contracted a book project with St. Martin's Press for a late 2009 release. They are seeking true stories that took place at Christmas. They must revolve around that special time of year. They prefer first-person narratives. This is an excellent opportunity to see your writing in a book with other outstanding authors. You must follow these guidelines:
• Deadline for stories is December 24, 2008.
• All entries must be double-spaced, 12-point font, Times New Roman, Word document.
• Stories may run from 900 to 1,300 words. They will not consider longer pieces.
• They will edit all stories they accept so that they have a unified voice.
• Your name will be listed with your story and you'll have a four-line information/resume paragraph at the end of the book.
• Every story must have a positive solution that results from a miracle through events or timing at the Christmas season.
• Every story must have a positive application. That is, you must tell us what you learned from that miracle or how it changed your life.
• You may send an original or a reprint. (If a reprint, please tell us where it was published and assure us that you own the reprint rights.)
If they accept your story, you will retain rights. You'll also receive a $50 honorarium and a free copy of the book when it is released in October 2009. They will offer special discounts for contributors who wish to buy additional books and will send that information to you. Click here to submit your story online.
The Dream Quest One Poetry & Writing Contest is open to anyone who loves to express his or her innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful art of poetry or to write a short story that is worth telling everyone! Write a poem or short story for a chance to win cash prizes.
Deadline: December 31, 2008. Winners announced on January 31, 2009
Genre: Poetry and Short Story
Prizes: Poetry Contest First Prize is $250. Second Prize: $125. Third Prize: $50.Short Story Writing Contest First Prize is $500. Second Prize: $250. Third Prize: $100.
Details: Write an original poem, thirty lines or fewer on any subject, style, or form, typed or neatly hand printed. And/or write an original short story, five pages maximum length, on any subject or theme, creative writing fiction or non-fiction (including essay compositions, diary, journal entries and screenwriting). Also, must be typed or neatly hand printed. Multiple poetry and short story entries accepted. Writing Contest entry fee: $10 per short story. Poetry Contest entry fee: $5 per poem. Click here for more details.