Do You Have a Story to Tell?
Each year, thousands of hopefuls flock to Hollywood, dreaming of making it big in the film and television business. This January, a Hollywood-based training program for writers and executives celebrates its 10th Anniversary Year by presenting Act One Training for Hollywood Seminar in Colorado Springs, CO. The seminar, scheduled for January 30-31, 2009, is an intensive weekend program designed to train aspiring writers and producers who are serious about their Christian faith and eager to learn more about how to create culture that respects and enriches a global audience.
This Conference Welcomes Professional and Aspiring Writers, Entrepreneurs, Producers, Entertainment Executives
Act One's ALL-INCLUSIVE Weekend Seminar will be held at the spectacular Glen Eyrie Castle. Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, just minutes from downtown Colorado Springs, CO, sits a Christian conference and retreat center unlike any other. In addition to keynotes given by Dr. Linda Seger, world-renowned author and script consultant, participants will study the Hollywood storytelling process, from story development to pitching, to the craft of producing spiritually engaging entertainment that is commercially appealing. Writing track participants will learn practical lessons on writing outlines and treatments, on creating compelling characters and stories and on the basics of screenwriting format. Those choosing the business track will cover lessons on the marketplace and commercial creativity and how to option materials.
- Other topics to be discussed during the conference include:
- Finding Your Story: Choosing the right stories, understanding genre and what makes your story stand out from the others.
- The Big Structure Lecture: An overview of the basic three-act structure, illustrated through a breakdown of an epic motion picture.
- Breaking Into the Business: A frank dialog between workshop participants and our faculty about the business of show business, what it takes to make it as a professional and as a Christian in Hollywood, and next steps for those who believe God is calling them to an entertainment industry career.
In addition to the Seminar, Act One will be hosting a Hollywood Insider Panel and Discussion from 7-10pm on Friday, January 30. Open to the public, the event will feature a presentation on the activity of the church in Hollywood, a keynote address from a high profile Hollywood professional about the challenges of working on the front lines of the culture, and a Hollywood Insider Panel, which will be a provocative, no-holds-barred Q&A about life and work in the world's most influential mission field.
Date: Friday, January 30, 2009. 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday, January 31, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Location: Glen Eyrie Castle and Conference Center, 3820 N. 30th St., Colorado Springs, CO 80904
- Early Bird Registration: $265: includes study materials, meals (Fri. dinner, Sat. breakfast, lunch & dinner) and Hollywood Insider Event
- $415: includes study materials, meals (Fri. dinner, Sat. breakfast, lunch & dinner, Sun. breakfast), 2 nights stay (Fri. & Sat.) and Hollywood Insider Event. Limited rooms are available.
- Prices after December 22: $285 & $435
- For more details, log on to Act One.
Act One, Inc., is a nonprofit organization that has trained Christians of all denominations for careers in mainstream film and television for the past ten years. Stressing artistry, excellence, professionalism, and Christian spirituality, Act One prepares students to pursue careers marked by personal integrity and professional excellence, in writers rooms, on sets, and in studio and network offices. The end goal is not to produce explicitly religious entertainment, but movie and TV projects that respect and serve the global audience, combining mastery of craft with great depth and meaning. Over ten years, Act One has amassed a vast alumni network of writers, producers, directors and entertainment executives who are dedicated to producing excellent work for a global audience.