May 17, 2013 FREE Writing Workshop: Writing Gymnastics: The Art of the Flip
Time: 6 pm - 8 pm, Friday, May 17, 2013
Location: Mardel's, 5964 Barnes Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80922
“Omit needless words. Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.” —William Strunk Jr.
At every writer’s conference an editor will share the “Top 10” editing tips every writer must know. At the top of the list?
- Get rid of adverbs, adjectives and ‘to be’ verbs.
- Write in the active voice.
- Show, don’t tell.
- Spotting: How to save time by using an editor’s best friend: “Replace and Find.”
- Front Twist: Flip a sentence from passive to active voice, plus turn adjectives into picture nouns and adverbs into visual verbs.
- Back Walkover: Kick out words that “tell” — adverbs, camouflaged verbs, say-nothing-generic nouns, and normalizations — and land on words that “show.”
- Backward roll: Push out “weasel” words —qualifiers, intensifiers, wordy phrases, or words that slow action or are redundant, overused or buzzwords.
- Gymnastics Coaching: Coaching examples —critique comments from real fiction and nonfiction WIP’s (work-in-progress) — will be featured.
A Scheduling Conflict Worth Considering
Colorado Christian Writers Conference
May 15 - 18, 2013
Estess Park, CO
I can’t say enough about Marlene Bagnall’s spiritual desire to equip writer’s to pursue the passion God placed in your heart to write, which is the same mission that drives Springs Writers. Marlene’s conference is more than just a “professional” writers’ conference. Your heart will receive spiritual encouragement, plus the challenge to hone your writing skills to make a difference in the lives of others. Please forgive me for not posting this conference information sooner. As I grieve the death of my firstborn days and months blur together. If you can attend, please log on to http://colorado.writehisanswer.com and register now! You can choose from
- 19 Wednesday earlybirds
- 8 continuing sessions
- Plus 42 workshops or four hands-on clinics.
- AND four, one-on-one, 15-minute appointments with the faculty of your choice for those who attend the entire conference.