Springs Writers provides a FREE conference-quality workshop the first Monday of each month (except December, July & August) from 6:00–7:45 pm, Woodmen/Academy Hobby Lobby Classroom Room [against back wall behind "Employee Only" double doors], 6950 North Academy, Colorado Springs, 80918

Friday, January 30, 2009

Awards, Rewards and Writing

"In the name of the hungry, of the naked, of the crippled, of the homeless, of the blind, in their name, I accept the award." —Mother Teresa of Calcutta

What writer wouldn't want to receive a major writing award? It adds an impressive sparkly star to the resume or website. It affirms your credibility and positions you in the league of the prestigious. Writers are encouraged to build their platform, their brand, their tagline, their expertise, and their voice. While working on all these planks to sell yourself and your manuscript to a publisher, I rarely hear something I believe to be true: God is in control of our writing careers. He lifts to a seat of honor those who pour their God-given passions out on paper. He equips us to remain faithful to our unique purpose and calling.

Mother Teresa's words tug at my writer's heart. Is my writing passion about offering hope, encouraging others, making a difference in someone's life, or seeking attention? Which begs the question: Why do I write? God imbedded a distinct DNA code in my heart with instructions: Write. I'm compelled to express the dialogue of my soul.

What's the deeply satisfying reward of writing? Publication? Recognition? Awards? To me, my reward is doing what God designed me to do.

Why Do You Write?

Join me in congratulating the writers of the 2009 Christianity Today book awards whose works honor God and teach and inspire others. The judging process began with 436 titles submitted by 67 publishers. CT editors selected finalists in ten categories. Then their panels of expert judges — one panel per category — sorted out the cream of the crop from 2008. Click here to learn the 10 winners and 11 notables that best shed light on the people, events, and ideas that shape evangelical life, thought, and mission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say thank you for writing this article. I came across this today and while reading my heart just sang with praise. For the very first time in my life, I felt someone knew just what I felt. What I've always felt. Since the age of 6 I've longed, desired, and needed to write. I found that writing was something I could not be without, it was the only way I knew how to express what was within me. My emotions as a child were something I could never express through physical action, as I was told to shut it out. The only way I could cry, sing, love, hurt, was through my pen and paper, words have not only made a way for me to heal, and to release emotion. But have always been something of a part of me. I never knew why. I've tried to explain what writing is to me, to others all my life, as so many just can't understand why it is so important and so much a part of who I am. It's impossible to explain...but you just did that in this article...and made me realize that God has a purpose for it, and that I'm not alone, there are others out there that understand this desire of my heart, and why it exists. For years I tried letting go of the desire trying to tell myself that it was a child hood dream, that needed to die. Well now at 30 years old and the desire wont leave...It breaks my heart when I walk away from the idea chalking it up to a childhood dream, and hear or read something that sparks emotions and the need to write. Now I understand why the desire wont leave...God must have written it on my heart the day I was born.
Bless you!!